The Science of Spray Tanning
DHA (Dihydroxyacetone) what is DHA? DHA is derived from sugar cane or beets and when applied to the skin it begins to interact with the amino acids in the outer layer of your skin (epidermis) and causes the skin to darken. As your skin cells naturally fall off the color will gradually fade. Our DHA products are organic, vegan and gluten free. Safe for most people. Exfoliating the skin is the key to a long lasting tan. If you remove the dead skin cells that will be the first to fall off, the fresh skin will attract the DHA and your tan will last longer.
BEFORE TANNING & AFTER TANNING TIPS
1. Bring dark loose fitting clothing to wear after tan is applied. For tanning you may wear a swim suit or under
garment. No silk, wool, rayon, leather, nylon or spandex. Bring flip flops.
2. Waxing, shaving, facials, medi/ped should be done around 24 hours before your tan.
3. Moisturize your skin the night before, especially wrists, elbows, knees, ankles and feet. The most common cause of a patchy tan is dry skin.
4. Shower and exfoliate your skin by using an exfoliating mitt (No Dove Products) to wash away dead skin cells at least 5 hours before your spray tan session.
5. Skin should be clean of any deodorant, make up, lotion or perfume before your spray tan session.
6. If you have an evening appointment and you are sleeping with the bronzer on wear long, light, loose jamies.
7. Medications can alter your tan.
After Your Spray Tan
1. After you have the tan applied, try to avoid washing your hands for at lease 3 hours.
2. Do not wear tight clothes for at lease 4 hours. Tight clothes will prevent the tan from developing properly. Do not exercise as this changes the chemical balance of the spray solution. Do not get wet or sweat.
3. After 8 to 10 hours (Original solution) or 1-4 hours (Rapid solution) you can shower, Rinse only, do not use body wash, soap and do not exfoliate the skin.
4. After you shower, pat dry your skin, do not rub. Moisturize your skin as often as possible to prolong your spray tan. Use lotions that do not have mineral oil. No Dove products. The spray tan will last 7 to 10 days if you hydrate your skin often. Tan extenders can prolong your tan.
5. Try and avoid long hot tubs, swimming pools and the blue ocean for extended periods of time as this will cause the spray tan to fade faster. Use a new razor the next time you shave.
6. Always use sun screen while in the sun. (Sun Bum Sunscreen)